We love a great outdoor space. In fact, if you do it right, your outdoor space can function as an additional living room or dining area. Outdoor living isn’t just for spring and summer. A fire pit or a patio heater can invite you outside for drinks by the fire or toasting marshmallows with friends.
Invest in your outdoor space, and you’ll pay yourself dividends in evenings with friends and family and a unique experience that just can’t be enjoyed inside. Spark conversation with contemporary, stylish pieces that are as beautiful as they are functional, and you’ll find you may never want to return indoors.
At Modloft, we’re just as obsessed with our outdoor furniture pieces as we are with our indoor furnishings. Creating sustainable, usable outdoor furniture that is both visually attractive and comfortable is our goal, and we never sacrifice one for the other.
With a few tips, you can create the outdoor space you’ve always wanted so that dinner on the patio becomes a weeknight tradition. We’ll also give you our top five must-haves for creating a modern outdoor furniture experience.
What Makes an Outdoor Space Appealing?
Your patio needs pressure washing, and your landscaping is non-existent. No wonder you aren’t quick to bring your charcuterie tray and wine outdoors. For an outdoor space to be appealing, it needs to be well maintained, carefully planned, and stylish.
Here’s how to get started with creating an unforgettable outdoor space.
1. Clean it Up
Whether you need to pressure wash, pluck weeds, invest in some potted plants, or do a full landscaping overhaul, set the projects in motion. You can’t begin adding furnishings to a dirty, unkempt space.
Create a Plan
Fail to plan, plan to fail is an adage because it’s true. The best way to begin virtually any interior (or exterior) design project is to map it out on paper. If you’re stuck, we can help. Here’s what to consider for your outdoor space.
- What are your needs? Do you simply need a small space to relax and enjoy your morning coffee? Will you entertain guests outdoors? If you're going to have dinner parties, you’re going to need tables and chairs, but if you plan only to have light refreshments, you might need more casual furniture.
- How much space do you have? You don’t want your outdoor space to look cluttered, and adding too many pieces of furniture can make the space feel less spacious. Keeping your outdoor space uncluttered helps foster the outdoor experience.
- How’s the weather? No one wants to sit on patio furniture cushions that are covered with mildew. Alternatively, metal frames with no cushions can scorch you in the summertime. If you live in an area prone to rain or extreme temps, make sure the furniture to select can withstand the elements.
Once you’ve ironed out a few details about your specific needs, space, and the materials you’ll probably find most sustainable, you’re ready to create your space. You’re going to want to invest in outdoor space furnishings that are effective and high quality.
Top 5 Modern Outdoor Furniture Pieces
You’ve got options for furnishing your outdoor space, but you can make simple work of finding the pieces you need by considering these top five modern outdoor furniture pieces.
1. The Outdoor Dining Table
If you ever plan to eat a meal outdoors, you want a sturdy, attractive outdoor dining table. The outdoor dining table makes it easy to move any mealtime outside on a whim and saves you from holding plates in your lap or eating on the pavement!
A great outdoor dining table is also a good space for hosting guests for wine and cheese, coffee and brunch, or even moving your work-from-home situation to a sunnier spot.
- One to try: Liam Dining Table. What makes this dining table unique? We’ll start with the modern design that features slightly curved lines to give the table tapered ends. This minimalist table is striking in appearance and features a superstone concrete top that is engineered to naturally repel moisture and prevent extreme temps from affecting its design.
Tapered legs maximize leg space for laid-back after-dinner conversation while providing a solid base for the table.
You can’t have a dining table without chairs, and you’ll want chairs that offer a sleek and understated design. Less flourish on your outdoor furniture means more attention to the beauty of your natural surroundings.
If your outdoor space isn’t covered, you may want to avoid cushioned seats for your dining table, as they can take more than a day to dry if they’ve been exposed to rain. It isn’t necessarily a deal-breaker, but definitely something to consider.
2. The Sectional Sofa
Relaxing, reading a book, having a conversation, or simply enjoying the warmth of a sunny day is all best experienced on the plush comfort of an outdoor sectional. You deserve the same level of comfort outdoors that you enjoy inside, which is why you shouldn’t skimp on this piece.
An outdoor sectional in a neutral color will hold up against sunlight and fading better than one that is richly pigmented. It will also be more comfortable in the summer as it won’t absorb heat as much as dark color.
- One to try: The Netta Outdoor Sectional. We love this sectional because it’s multifunctional. Crafted to be used as two separate open-ended couches, this two-piece unit can be pushed together to create a larger sofa. It’s perfect for times when you need to maximize space and retain seating or when you want to lie down for a quick outdoor nap.
3. The Outdoor Lounge Chair
No outdoor seating area is complete without a lounge chair (or two). Look for options that naturally repel moisture and offer modern construction that will keep you comfortable all day. Chairs that have a reclining back and arms will offer superior comfort and keep you relaxed.
- The Netta Outdoor Lounge Chair. This chair is a beautiful match to the Netta sectional sofa. Featuring an extremely low profile frame that is naturally moisture repellent, the plush cushions are treated to be exceptionally resistant to even the harshest elements.
Regatta roping and crosshatching features give this chair a particularly contemporary feel and an unmistakable aesthetic.
4. The Coffee Table
Is the coffee table for coffee, or your favorite whiskey and cigar? Either way, your outdoor coffee table should be a place where you feel comfortable resting your glass. We think the best way to make that happen is to look for beautiful designs crafted from unexpected, sturdy materials. There’s little need for extravagance when you’re sitting outdoors, so keep the lines clean and the function the most important feature.
- One to try: Parson Outdoor Coffee Table. Classic parson-style construction gives this minimalist outdoor coffee table a sense of sturdiness and appeal. Made from a solid eucalyptus frame that naturally repels water, this coffee table is shaped to fit almost anywhere you need outside.
5. The Accent Table
Accent tables outdoors? Absolutely. Not only are they a beautiful addition to your outdoor space, but they’re also highly functional. Especially necessary when entertaining guests, accent tables offer a place to rest a drink, a small hors d'oeuvres plate, or simply add a structurally beautiful piece to your patio.
- One to try: The Volta Outdoor Accent Table. Elevate your outdoor space with a pair of these beautiful, barrel-shaped accent tables. Made from resilient regatta cording that keeps the piece light, this concrete topped table is perfect for holding your drinks while you engage in conversation.
Outdoor Furniture Tips
The most important feature of outdoor furniture is its durability. Outdoor furniture needs to be able to withstand the elements of cold, heat, wind, rain, and maybe even snow and sleet. Although you’ll definitely have to replace it sooner than you will your indoor pieces, it should last several seasons before needing to be repaired or replaced.
- Look for furniture made with moisture repelling materials, like eucalyptus, stone, and concrete.
- Opt for minimalism. The object of being outside is to enjoy nature. If you choose furniture that is especially ornamental, it will become the focal point instead of the beautiful sunset (or sunrise). Modern furniture is the best option for outdoor furniture, because it is minimalist by design.
- Don’t overdo it. You only need what you need. It can be tempting to buy every piece of outdoor furniture you find, but that can create a cluttered space that makes you feel uncomfortable.
Instead, opt for a few sensible pieces that you’ll definitely use.
Your outdoor space can quickly become your favorite haven and a place where you enjoy meals and entertain guests. Shopping for outdoor furniture with Modloft is a great way to keep your outdoor space contemporary and inviting while retaining superior quality and sustainability.
How to Improve Your Outdoor Space - Real Estate Guides | NY Times
11 Ways to Create a More Relaxing Backyard | The Spruce
The Properties of Eucalyptus Wood | Home Guides